Inspiring Travel through global missions offered at Christ United offers travel opportunities with a purpose. These trips include spiritual, emotional and social experiences. This is a great way to visit other parts of our world while being inspired to be a better person, friend and family unit.
- VOLT Eye Glass Clinics- A vision mission team that provides eye care such as vision screenings, glasses, and treatment of certain minor eye diseases with the goal of providing a better quality of life to those with poor vision. The team serves those who otherwise would not have access to eye care facilities both internationally and in the United States. They also provide Christian education programs, clothing, books and medical supplies to those being served as the projects allow. VOLT meets the third Monday of each month from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM in room N156.
- Cameroon Eye Clinic Mission – After two successful VOLT mission trips in Africa, we have established a local vision team in Cameroon that has its own ophthalmologist, Dr. Aboutu. Because of generous donations and training from team member Dr. Mindy Surdacki, the medical mission team in Cameroon can now perform vision screenings and provide eye glasses to people year-round. This team also provides malaria nets and AIDS/HIV education, which is critical in this region of the world.
- Partnership churches (Poland and Macedonia)- Christ United, in conjunction with the United Methodist “In Mission Together Program“ has been in partnership with Pastor Slawomir and his congregation in Miedzyrzecz, Poland since 2012. Our goals have included growing the church in Miedzyrzecz through conducting Vacation Bible School in the local communities, having a youth program and completing the construction of the upstairs of the church. As result, many families have joined the church and there is enough space in the church to share the word of Christ with the community.
- Sager Brown – The UMCOR Depot in Baldwin, LA is the headquarters for the organization’s relief supply operations. Christ United has been involved in putting together flood buckets, health kits, layette kits and more for Sager Brown for 20 years. Other volunteer duties include sorting, organizing, doing inventory, shipping, sewing and other specialized skills. To learn more or to sign up email InspiringTravel@cumc.com.
- Send Hope- You can volunteer to assemble and sponsor food packets that will be sent to an orphanage in Honduras. These meal packets are made with all dry ingredients and then shipped to Honduras through the SendHope program. Send Hope provides opportunities for groups to go on short term medical, dental and construction mission trips. The organization also provides items such as food, school supplies, mosquito nets and clothing. For more information, e-mail email@example.com.
There are many non-trip opportunities as well. Inspiring Travel encourages you to get involved in our health kit and eye glass cleaning programs, where we prepare supplies and have teams deliver them to communities that are in need.
- Forms for travel can also be downloaded.