Director of Music Ministries
Christ United Methodist Church, Plano (“Christ United”) is a 5000-member church filled with talented, passionate, caring people with a heart for ministry and mission. The Music ministries of Christ United feature diverse worship service styles and engage talented professionals and laypersons in a broad range of music genres including traditional liturgical, classical, gospel, jazz, and contemporary songs performed by our Adult, Youth and Children’s Choirs and other instrumentalists including full orchestras, jazz ensembles, piano, organ, and more. The sanctuary instruments include a 4 manual, 90 rank Reuter Pipe Organ, installed in 2010, voiced in American Classic/Symphonic style, and a Steinway Hamburg Concert Grand Piano.
The Director of Music Ministries is responsible for supporting the mission and vision of Christ United by developing, coordinating, and implementing a comprehensive music ministry, while supporting vibrant and transformative congregational worship. The Director supervises, directly or indirectly, all choirs and reports to the Senior Pastor.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Promote the spiritual life of the congregation and its members through music ministries.
- Work with the Senior Pastor to plan and implement music for Sunday morning worship so that the congregation has the opportunity to experience God’s presence in powerful ways through singing and hearing a variety of styles of music in worship.
- Direct/oversee elements of worship, including order of worship, audiovisual production, and worship elements (e.g., communion, baptism, ashes, candles, etc.), in consultation with the Senior Pastor and supported by staff and volunteers.
- Conduct music and lead congregational singing for Sunday morning traditional services and other special services.
- Direct and conduct rehearsals for the adult choir and ensure adult choir participation in worship services throughout the year.
- Work with the pastoral team to plan and implement special services and music events, including, but not limited to, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and mid-week Lenten and Advent services.
- Provide vocal leadership and musical participation experiences for all ages including: youth and children’s choirs, handbell choir, and all other special ensembles.
- Supervise music and worship staff including youth and children’s choir directors, organist, accompanists, audiovisual coordinator, and administrative assistant.
- Work collaboratively with worship leaders from Christ United’s Modern Worship service.
- Build relationships within the congregation in order to actively invite and attract new volunteer musicians (choral and instrumental) to the music program.
- Encourage the development of spiritual, musical, artistic, and technical gifts of music program volunteers.
- Collaborate with the Children’s and Youth Ministries when youth and children’s choirs sing in Sunday services.
- Organize a variety of musical presentations during regular worship services and other special services, including soloists, small groups, instrumentalists, etc.
- Ensure organ and/or piano accompaniments are available for worship services, including for funerals and weddings.
- Coordinate worship committee meetings, and attend weekly senior staff, all-staff, and worship planning meetings.
- Oversee the production of worship bulletins.
- Develop and maintain a suitable and substantive music library, following copyright law.
- Maintain a regular tuning schedule for organ and pianos.
- Work within an annually approved music budget.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- Bachelor’s degree in music required; Master’s degree in music preferred (preferably with choral conducting emphasis).
- Familiarity with Wesleyan theology and the Wesleyan choral heritage.
- Significant experience in directing volunteer choral ensembles.
- Significant experience in planning and leading traditional worship.
- Choral and instrumental music composition and arranging experience preferred.
- Broad knowledge of sacred worship music from classical to contemporary.
- Ability to select music that enhances worship and incorporates a variety of music genres.
- Ability to teach people with varying degrees of musical knowledge.
- Skillful playing of piano.
- Ability to vocally lead the congregation.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. Christ United offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants meeting all qualifications, email resume and cover letter to Kim@cumc.com. Candidates selected for an interview should be prepared to send work product samples – examples follow:
- Copies of performances by choral ensembles (video preferred).
- Copies of choral compositions/arrangements.
- Digital copies or links to professional journals, especially items published in church music/worship publications.
Director of Youth Ministries
Christ United Methodist Church, an established church community with a large, service-minded congregation, is looking to hire a full-time Director of Youth Ministries. In the heart of Plano, TX, this UMC congregation is looking for a dynamic, teachable, well-organized leader to join the staff and lead a strong team of volunteers.
Along with leading the youth staff, this individual will be engaging and relational, reaching into the lives of the youth and their parents. S/he will work with the youth leadership to develop a vision for youth ministry. S/he will also empower the youth staff and volunteers to build and grow a healthy, sustainable ministry that will flourish.
The right candidate will have 3-5 years of youth ministry experience, hold a bachelor’s degree and embrace a United Methodist theology. Resumes, along with any questions about the position, may be sent to Heather Quiroz at email@example.com.
The Director of Youth Ministries develops and implements a comprehensive approach to youth ministries while serving as a spiritual leader and role model. The Director of Youth Ministries is responsible for the development, administration, supervision, and leadership of programs for youth and their families in the area of Christian education, discipleship, mission, and outreach. The Director of Youth Ministries also supervises the youth staff and a team of lay volunteers. This is a full-time exempt position.
Responsibilities & Duties:
• In collaboration with a team of lay volunteers, steward the vision for Christ United’s Youth Ministries.
• In collaboration with a team of lay volunteers, lead, plan, develop, implement, and evaluate all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, teaching, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
• Supervise and develop youth staff.
• Recruit, supervise, train, support, evaluate, coordinate, and communicate with the volunteer team.
• Mentor youth to develop leadership skills.
• In collaboration with a team of lay volunteers, plan and lead confirmation and provide leadership for confirmands, teachers, mentors, and parents beyond the classroom.
• In collaboration with a team of lay volunteers, plan and lead all youth trips.
• Oversee youth ministry communications in collaboration with the Christ United Communications Department.
• Select a sound curriculum that reflects the traditions of The United Methodist Church, and that strategically follows a 7 – year plan for youth.
• In collaboration with a team of lay volunteers, develop and maintain parenting programs.
• Mentor youth who are discerning a call to ministry.
• Attend senior staff, worship, and all staff weekly meetings.
• Participate in worship services as requested by the Senior Pastor.
• Provide support for Vacation Bible School.
• Develop and manage the Youth Ministries budget, including planning and managing fundraisers to supplement the budget.
• Keep accurate attendance records, and manage a system for follow up with youth who have been absent from Sunday school, programs and/or events.
• Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other Christ United staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality.
• Other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum 3-5 years of experience in youth ministry
• Embraces United Methodist theology
• Proven ability to build relationships with youth, parents, and volunteers
• Proven record of leading a healthy and growing youth ministry
Music Ministry Administrative Assistant
Part Time ( 20 – 25 Hours )
We are are searching for an organized and passionate individual to support the Music Ministry at Christ United. This position will include the management of internal and external music events, copy editing and worship bulletin creation, and administrative leadership within our Music Department.
Calendar + Rental Management
- Manage Outlook facility rental calendar
- Update Main church calendar with music ministry and traditional worship events
- Manage Facility Rentals in Music wing and Sanctuary
Worship Bulletin Production
- Weekly Bulletin
- Print copies for clergy, choir and congregation
- Upload to Dropbox
Music Ministry Support and Organization
- Maintain music library
- Organize and file hard copy music as needed
- Update online library
- Copy music for rehearsals
- Easter/Christmas flowers/plants
- Order flowers/plants from supplier
- Schedule delivery
- Create online order from
- Add to website and weekly communications via ASANA
- Organize sales on Sunday in between services
- Organize committee to put flower/plants in sanctuary
- Create .pdf of dedications for webpage
- Youth Choir Tour
- Set up registration
- Assist with planning and prep as needed by youth choir director
- Youth Choir Broadway Café
- Assist with planning and prep as needed by youth choir director
- Create registrations for all choirs
- Work with communications in keeping music webpages up to date
- Order music department or traditional worship supplies
- Manage music ministry receipts and credit card statement and turn in to the Finance department
- Update Christian Copyright website with weekly music in the traditional services
- Make sure Sunday Morning Checklist is completed for each service including being on-site Sunday mornings 8-11 AM
For all position inquires or resume submissions, please contact Kim Hill.